Do you know about how many minutes it takes to do fun and intentional Bible teaching? 20.
Life is too precious not to make the most of every opportunity!
But how do you find 20 minutes in your week? Here are a few ideas:
- Schedule one hour of “screen free” time at your home.
- Save on dinner prep time by ordering in or warming up leftovers for dinner – use paper plates.
- Start your normal bedtime routine 30 minutes earlier (and add in your Family Time).
Each of these will save you at least 20 minutes! Then use that time you’ve freed up to fulfill the most important job you’ve been given: to teach your children about Jesus and the Bible!
Here is a simple guide for having a “Family Time”:
- Have a family member share a praise or worship song that is meaningful to them. Listen together. Maybe even sing together. Let each share what is special about that song.
- Pray together. Give family members a chance to share what they would like to pray about. Allow anyone who wants to pray to do so.
- Do a Bible-centered object lesson. We provide one every month free on our homepage: famtime.com . They are focused and simple, even giving you a script if you need one.
- Close in prayer. Pray that God would help you all to apply what you’ve learned.
Last month we shared an idea for using Christian videos like Veggie Tales to have a fun and meaningful movie night with your kids. Those will take about an hour. If you add in a Family Time once a week, you’ve now added 80 minutes of spiritual training into your home this month!
Start doing this every week and you can see how your time teaching your kids about the Lord will grow exponentially!
Have you done Family Time with your kids before? What was your most meaningful activity?
“Come, children, listen closely; I’ll give you a lesson in God worship.”
Psalm 34:11 ( The Message)
Husband to Trudi
Dad to two
1 Corinthians 13 Parenting Team Member
Founder and Executive Director of Family Time Training