What is the vision for our family? Check.
What are the values that we hold dear? Check.
It is natural to want to know everything that is going to happen and where we will be 5 years from now. The truth is, if we are living a life of faith, we may not have all the answers.
I am a Type A personality with the need to organize everything and be in control. Most times I have to step outside myself and what is natural for me and let God take over.
We are not always going to know what is next for our family. The next step may be very hazy and uncertain.
How does a person lead when they do not know where they are going?
My husband and I recently made some very important decisions regarding our family and the direction we are headed. To most, these are choices that do not make sense in the natural. It would be very easy to do what is “normal” or “popular”. In the midst of these decisions, there can be a lot of uncertainty. There are many questions that we cannot answer, but we know that God is leading us.
You CAN still be a good leader in your home when you do not have all the answers.
1) Pray, Pray, Pray. Be certain that you are hearing from God when making a decision.
2) Make decisions when you AND your spouse have peace regarding the matter. Stay in agreement.
3) Get everyone involved in the decision. Let your children see you using your faith and help them to practice using theirs.
4) Keep the environment in the home stress free as your family transitions into a new season.
5) Remain positive in your conversation around your family.
6) Celebrate and point out God’s faithfulness to your kids along the journey.
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord,
thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
Jeremiah 29:11 (KJV)
What transitions are coming for your family? How will you be the leader you need to be?
By Karla Marie Williams
Wife to Tom
Mom of 6
1 Corinthians 13 Parenting Team Member
Speaker, Writer, and Advocate for Children in Need of Forever Families