Advent began this past Sunday. I don’t know about you, but it is hard to keep Jesus the focus of the Christmas season with all of the presents, programs, and expectations. As I am preparing myself for Advent, I am drawn to a verse from Hebrews 12:2 which says, “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.”
I would like to share some of my favorite resources to use with family during the Advent season. I hope they will be a blessing to you and way to fix your eyes on Jesus during this Advent.
- The Donkey in the Living Room by Sarah Cunningham. I met Sarah at the D6 Conference in Louisville. This is a fun tradition that was established in her own home as a child. We used this resource last year as an e-book, but it is available now in Christian bookstores.
- Adorenaments or The 12 Names of Christmas by Family Life. These have been a favorite tradition for our family. This has been edited to include an adult version and child version. However, each of these ornaments uses a name and image of Jesus and includes a brief reading for each Adornament or name of Jesus. The ornaments are great for families with younger kids.
- The ADVENTure of Christmas by Lisa Whelchel. We used this several years ago in our family. Lisa shares the stories of many of the traditions that we participate in during the Christmas season.
- What God Wants for Christmas by Family Life. This was a new resource a few years ago. It is another great one for younger children as they get to open a present each day. Short readings and fun make this a great choice as anticipation grows waiting to open the final present.
- Truth in Tinsel website has many great ideas and will be appreciated by those who love to spend time on Pinterest.
- A Holy Experience Ann Voskamp provides this idea for a special tree for Advent. I personally have not used this resource but enjoy Voskamp’s creativity, poetic language, and a way to keep Jesus central during the holidays. Voskamp has published a book this year that incorporates thoughts from this website.
I hope these resources will be a great addition to your Christmas traditions and help keep Jesus in the middle of your celebration and family time.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
the author and perfecter of our faith.
How will you and your family fix your eyes on Jesus this Advent season?