How can we, as loving, compassionate, members of the global body of Christ, reach out and show love to single parents? Maybe the single parents in your life seem like they have it all together. There are some amazingly, strong single parents today, and many are achieving success parentally and emotionally, while finding great freedom in their walk with the Lord. But even those strong, amazing single parents, could use an occasional helping hand.
Here are a few practical ways to brighten a single parent’s day:
1. Babysit for free and do it often. Single mothers often work many hours per week and do not want to ask for help. They may even work a second or third job, or be attending a local college, too. Babysitting can be expensive. Encourage single mothers in your life to take the night off. They need it.
2. Offer to grocery shop for them. Shopping is a simple task, but shop alone with three children hanging from the buggy and you’ll see the challenge many single parents face weekly.
3. Give her some girl time. Sometimes the best way to serve a single mom is to invite her for coffee for some adult conversation.
4. Invite her to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Feeding an extra couple of mouths during holiday time won’t cost you much, but it can radically change the life of a single mom who may be eating alone.
5. Start a single parent support group in your church. What a way to be the body of Christ! Start a Bible study or Sunday School Class just for single parents. Give them a place to feel comfortable and welcomed inside your church walls.
Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens!
May your glory shine over all the earth.
Psalm 57:5 NLT
Jennifer Maggio is an award-winning author and speaker whose personal story leaves audiences riveted. She is founder of The Life of a Single Mom Ministries and Overwhelmed: The Single Moms Magazine. For more info, visit www.thelifeofasinglemom.com.