Wouldn’t you love to have HGTV ‘s Chip and Joanna from Fixer Upper, a popular home improvement show, turn up at your house ready to remodel your home? The families and neighborhoods to whom they lend their expertise are always blessed.
What if, before that carpet was laid or the hardwood floor inserted, you added your own spiritual twist to the project for a double blessing?
Even without Chip and Jo, your family can be doubly blessed through a home remodel project. If you plan on painting a room or upgrading your flooring, why not get the whole family involved? Have each family member write a favorite piece of scripture behind the renovation. Repainting walls? Family members can write scripture verses on it before the new paint is applied. Adding carpet? Choose a piece of scripture to write on the base flooring before stapling down the new carpet.
5 Steps to Take When Remodeling with a Spiritual Twist
- Have each family member identify favorite scripture passages.
- Take time to talk as a family about why it is a beloved verse.
- Discuss any special meaning for your family right now, in the past, or for what you see in the future.
- You may want to write down the story behind each verse or consider making a video of each person sharing their stories as they write them on the wall, floor or ceiling being renovated.
- Take pictures of the scripture verses before renovating the space. In the future you can remind the family that the scriptures are still there on the floor, wall or ceiling.
Scripture under your feet and bible verses on the wall will surround you and your loved ones every time you are in that space. You will have covered your home and your family in God’s Word.
To keep the memory alive, place the scriptures, stories,and pictures in a family heritage album.
He (God) blesses the home of the righteous.
What other ways can you think of to bring scripture into your surroundings?
By Kirk Weaver
Husband to Trudi
Dad to two
1 Corinthians 13 Parenting Team Member
Founder and Executive Director of Family Time Training
Check out the NEW Family Time Training Team Curriculum DVD series!
Join members of the 1 Corinthians 13 Parenting team in Kansas City
on January 21, 2017 for the HeartCORe Single Parent Conference!