Pay no attention to those friends going to Cancun or Maui.
You can have plenty of fun right where you are! Memory making isn’t about your GPS location – it’s about the location of the people you love the most. So here are five great ideas for a staycation in Anytown, USA!
5 Fabulous Staycation Ideas for Families
- Buy art supplies like canvases, acrylic paints, charcoals, clay or beads and let the kids (and you) get their creative juices flowing. Check out a kids’ art history book from the library and let your tiny Matisse mimic famous styles of art.
- Learn about your family history using online tools such as MyHeritage.com or Ancestry.com.
- Take a trip around the world right from your kitchen! Let kids pick countries or regions with food they’d like to try and get cooking. Imagine a taste of China on Monday, France on Tuesday, Peru on Wednesday…
- Enjoy your local museum circuit. Most cities have more museums than you are even aware exist! Miniatures, quilts, toy trains, local history, art, space, firefighters… the list goes on and on. Find 2-3 that your family has never enjoyed and make it a week of new experiences (and don’t feel guilty; think of all that money you’re saving by not going to Cancun).
- Host your own film festival. Sure, you don’t want kids spending an entire week behind a screen. But what about introducing them to age-appropriate classic films (Gone with the Wind, Singin’ in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz) or compelling documentaries (Spellbound, Food, Inc., March of the Penguins). Make it complete with fun and healthy movie snacks and great conversation after the credits run.
A happy heart makes the face cheerful!
Proverbs 15: 13a
What are your best “at home” Spring Break ideas?
By Jenna Hallock
Wife to Mark
Mom of two
1 Corinthians 13 Parenting Team Member
Family Time Training